This dish is from ” 3 books in 1″ – Favorite brand name cook book, page 228 and is titled; Make it beefy.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms- optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (10oz) frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg– ( thought this was a surprising spice, as we usually use it for baking)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4cup milk
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup ( 2oz) shredded cheese.
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray 9- inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. 2. Brown beef in large nonstick skillet 6-8 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in spinach and nutmeg ; cover. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.3. Combine cooked and mashed potatoes, sour cream and milk. Add beef mixture; season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into prepared casserole dish; sprinkle with cheese. 4. Bake 15-20 minutes or until slightly puffed and cheese is melted.
This was a great surprise, as it looks very much like a traditional Kenyan dish called Mukimo, a mix of mashed potatoes and spinach or kale. Mukimo is usually accompanied with beef or chicken stew.
You cannot go wrong with this dish. It has all that you need: your carbs, your protein and your greens. Simply Scrumplicious!