This week we decided to make a slow cooker dish. We saw a recipe for slow cooker pot roast on the Lipton Onion Recipe Soup and dip mix box, and decided to try it. Keep in mind we have, on many occasions, had pot roast, but had never made it at home.
Its pretty simple
- prep time 10 minutes
- cook time 6 hours
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3-3.5 lb boneless beef roast
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium all purpose potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 envelopes/packets onion soup mix
- 3/4 cup water. We substituted with beef broth
How we made it
- In a large skillet heat oil and brown roast on all sides.
- In slow cooker arrange vegetables and top with roast.
- Combine soup mix ( we used one packet) with broth and add to slow cooker,cook covered on low for 8 to 10 hours. or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- (We did not have much time and started at 12:00 noon and turned off cooker at 6:00 pm).
- To thicken gravy stir in 1/4 cup water blended with 2 tablespoons all purpose flour. cook on high until thickened. (We decided not to thicken gravy).
- We served our pot roast with rice.
- 1 .5 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp of oil
- Pilau mix (can be found in Indian supermarket)
- In a skillet or pan, mix water, oil and pilau mix.
- Bring to a boil and add the rice, stir and reduce heat
- Let rice simmer for about 15-20 minutes
- Flake with fork and serve when ready
- 1 box onion soup mix – $1.12
- roast – $8.21
- potatoes – in pantry usually $2.99-$3.97 / 10Lb bag
- carrots – in pantry usually $0.99 / bag
- olive oil – in pantry usually $4.48
- rice- pantry $3.14/Ib or $12.99/10 Lb bag
Total estimate for 8 servings = $10.00
That means a family of 4 can eat this meal twice
It will only cost$1.25/plate
Is that a scrumplicious deal or what?